Urban Joblessness Rate
19 JUL 2021 2:50PM by PIB Delhi
Annual Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) on employment and unemployment is conducted by National Statistical Office (NSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation. As per the PLFS Quarterly Bulletin April-June 2020, quarterly unemployment rate (in %), as per Current Weekly Status(CWS) in urban areas for persons of age 15 years and above in the country to the extent available for the quarter ending July-Sep 2019, Oct-Dec 2019, Jan-March 2020 and April-June 2020 were 8.3%, 7.8%, 9.1% and 20.8% respectively. The complete picture of employment/unemployment situation in the country can be assessed only from survey data for entire year covering both rural and urban areas. The annual PLFS data is available upto 2018-19. As per the results of annual PLFS, the unemployment rate for persons of 15 years and above on usual status (principal status + subsidiary status) basis in the country to the extent available during 2017-18 and 2018-19 was 6.0% and 5.8%, respectively.
Government of India has taken a number of initiatives for promoting employment generation in the country. Aatmanirbhar Bharat Rojgar Yojana (ABRY) has been launched w.e.f. 1st October, 2020 to incentivize employers for creation of new employment along with social security benefits and restoration of employment. This scheme being implemented through EPFO seeks to reduce the financial burden of the employers and encourages them to hire more workers. Under ABRY, Government of India is providing for a period of two years, both the employees’ share (12% of wages) and employers’ share (12% of wages) of contribution or only employees’ share of contribution depending on employment strength of the EPFO registered establishments, for new employees whose monthly wage is less than Rs. 15,000/- per month. The new employees under the scheme includes those who have lost their employment during Covid-19 pandemic and did not join any EPF covered establishment upto 30.09.2020. The terminal date for registration of beneficiary under the scheme has been extended from 30th June, 2021 to 31st March, 2022.
Under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojna (PMGKY), Government of India has contributed both 12% employer’s share and 12% employee’s share under Employees Provident Fund (EPF), totalling 24% of the wage for the wage month from March to August, 2020 for the establishments having 100 employees with 90% of such employees earning less than Rs. 15000/-. This has helped in providing employment in EPFO registered establishments during post Covid period.
Earlier Pradhan Mantri Rojgar Protsahan Yojana (PMRPY) was launched to incentivise employers for creation of new employment. Under the scheme, Government of India is paying Employer’s contribution i.e. 12% for a period of three years to the new employees earning upto Rs. 15,000/- through EPFO. The terminal date for registration of beneficiary through establishment was 31st March 2019. The beneficiaries registered upto 31st March, 2019 will continue to receive the benefit for 3 years from the date of registration under the scheme i.e. upto 31st March, 2022.
PM- SVANidhi Scheme has facilitated collateral free working capital loan upto Rs.10,000/- for one-year tenure to street vendors, to help them resume their businesses during the post Covid period.
Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) is being implemented by the Government inter alia, for facilitating self-employment. Under PMMY collateral free loans upto Rs. 10 lakh, are extended to micro/small business enterprises and to individuals to enable them to setup or expand their business activities.
Besides above to enhance the employment generation, Government is encouraging various projects involving substantial investment and through public expenditure on schemes like Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP), Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS), Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY), Deendayal Antodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) and Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) run by Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises, Ministry of Rural Development, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs and Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), respectively.
Besides these initiatives, flagship programmes of the Government such as Make in India, Digital India, Swachh Bharat Mission, Smart City Mission, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation, Housing for All, Infrastructure development and Industrial corridors have the potential to generate productive employment opportunities.
This information was given by Union Minister for Labour & Employment Shri Bhupender Yadav in a written reply in Lok Sabha today.
(Release ID: 1736733)
Visitor Counter : 120